Where are the job opportunities in Victoria right now?
The latest job data from SEEK suggests that it’s now easier to get a job in 20 out of 28 national sectors, than it was before the pandemic.
In fact, the data reveals there are more than 44,700 jobs available in Victoria right now.
This includes 5,570 in trades and services, 4,960 in healthcare and medical and 4,000 in manufacturing, transport and logistics.
Experts suggest this is a result of businesses rehiring for roles lost during the initial pandemic lockdowns.
The data shows that Tasmania’s listings are up 40% in February 2021 compared to February 2020, followed by South Australia (up 37%), The Northern Territory (up 36%), Western Australia (up 24%), Queensland (up 23%), Victoria (up 7%), the ACT (up 5%), and New South Wales (up 4%).
While there is more opportunity at the moment to find work, you will still have competition – so if you would like a new job, start looking now.
Where are the job opportunities?
Below is a list of work opportunities based on current market competition.
- Hospitality and tourism | Competition down 50% | Avg. full-time salary $65,690
- Trades and services | Competition down 43% | Avg. full-time salary $69,035
- Manufacturing, transport, logistics | Competition down 39% | Avg. full-time salary $74,312
- Sport and recreation | Competition down 34% | Avg. full-time salary $68,952
- Farming, animals and conservation | Competition down 30% | Avg. full-time salary $73,130
- Retail and consumer products | Competition down 26% | Avg. full-time salary $62,583
- Community services and development | Competition down 22% | Avg. full-time salary $78,820
- Advertising, arts and media | Competition down 19% | Avg. full-time salary $78,877
- Administration and office support | Competition down 18% | Avg. full-time salary $59,802
- Sales | Competition down 15% | Avg. full-time salary $82,775
- Mining, resources and energy | Competition down 13% | Avg. full-time salary $123,997
- Call centre and customer service | Competition down 11% | Avg. full-time salary $62,525
- Human resources and recruitment | Competition down 11% | Avg. full-time salary $92,099
- Science and technology | Competition down 9% | Avg. full-time salary $92,997
- Construction | Competition down 8% | Avg. full-time salary $104,295
- Marketing and communications | Competition down 7% | Avg. full-time salary $89,885
- Education and training | Competition down 4% | Avg. full-time salary $85,612
- Consulting and strategy | Competition down 3 per cent | Avg. full-time salary $112,397
- Information and communication technology | Competition down 2% | Avg. full-time salary $111,444
- Healthcare and medical | Competition down 2% | Avg. full-time salary $89,882
Jobs a little harder to get
The below industries are currently more competitive.
- Insurance and superannuation
- Banking and financial services
- Real estate and property
- Government and defence
- Design and architecture
If you are currently looking for work, have you registered with JK JobSeeker? Find out more here.
*Figures based on annual increase in applicant-to-job-ad ratio and average advertised full-time salary for three months to February on SEEK.